Grate carrots, cook them in milk until most of the milk evaporates, add the sugar, butter, spices, dried fruit and nuts. Enjoy as a side dish or a dessert.
- 4 - 4 1/2 c grated carrots About 5 large carrots
- 4 c full fat organic milk or any type of milk, I used a mixture of whole milk and macadamia nut milk
- 4 T ghee or butter use less or none if you want
- 1/4 c sugar optional, makes it sweeter
- 5 - 6 whole green cardamom split open and crushed, or 1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 10 - 12 whole cashews or almonds, pistachios, whatever nuts you have on hand
- 2 T golden raisins or dried cranberries, whatever sweet dried fruit you have on hand
- 1 pinch saffron optional
Peel and grate carrots until you have about 4 1/2 cups grated carrots.
In a medium pot with a thick bottom, add the grated carrots and milk. Bring it to a boil and reduce the heat.
Simmer until the milk is reduced by 75%. Stir at regular intervals.
When the milk is reduced by 75%, add the sugar, ghee or butter, and cardamom.
Stir well and continue to cook until the rest of the milk is evaporated.
Add the dried fruit, nuts, and saffron and stir. Keep on the heat until everything is heated through. (About 3 minutes.)
Serve hot or cold, garnish with additional nuts and dried fruit as you like.