Basil Pesto = Summer in a Sauce
Fresh basil, olive oil, nuts, and freshly grated parmesan cheese = a classic summer sauce. Suitable for dipping, dressing salads, noodles, burgers, eggs ... the possibilities are endless.
- 2 c packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 - 2 c loosely packed fresh baby spinach leaves Optional - used to extend the basil and increase the nutritional content.
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1/2 c toasted nuts traditionally, pine nuts are used. Walnuts are a great substitute.
- 1/2 c freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 - 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 whole lemon, juiced optional
- 2 tsp lemon zest optional
- 1/2 tsp sugar optional
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper or to taste
Toast the nuts in a dry skillet 2 - 3 minutes, just until you can smell them. Let cool.
Put everything else in your food processor and blitz until it is as creamy as your processor is going to get it.
Let the pesto rest in the refrigerator 30 minutes before using.