Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
You don’t need the donut pans for these keto chocolate almond coconut donuts, but if you click through to Amazon and purchase the ones I recommend, Amazon will shuttle some coin my way. The donut pans are fun. You should buy them. 😀
This keto chocolate almond coconut donut satisfies without the post-donut lōggie* feeling.
“Lōggie means “An uncomfortable feeling of fullness, lethargy, thirst, fatigue, bloat, or mental fog after consuming either too much food, food of low nutritional value, highly processed food, or food of low nutritional value and high sugar content.” Don’t go looking lōggie up in Webster. It’s simply part of the Zimmerman-Bell household vocabulary. My kids/nieces/nephews were in college when they found out it was a made-up word. (Our family Beach Week vacation is an absolute Lōgg Fest. One day I hope to create a Beach Week Cook Book.)
Keto Chocolate Almond Coconut Donuts don’t have enough sugar to create the lōgg.
True story: One hundred years ago I was running a community-wide ACLS class. This was when instructors actually made up their own “mega-codes.” I brought donuts for the students. When I offered a donut to the regular night nurse on my unit. And yes, she was that night nurse, she said: “I don’t eat donuts.” My quizzical expression forced an explanation.
“I lost 40 pounds several years ago and I gave up donuts. I’ve never eaten one since. I don’t feel good when I eat them, so I just don’t.”
I understood completely. I knew pancakes and french toast made me feel bad, so I ate them very rarely. Donuts did the same thing. Why was I still eating them? So I pretty much stopped. Right there in that ACLS class after one last plain sugar glazed donut. Until now.
Now I eat a keto chocolate almond coconut donut every now and then … So good with an iced coffee after a workout!
N.B. Keto chocolate almond coconut donuts get their sweet from erythritol which is a sugar alcohol first discovered in 1848. It is commercially produced from glucose by fermentation with yeast. It is non-caloric, does not influence blood sugar, and does not cause tooth decay. Click through and get yours here. I am over my skepticism of it. Same with Lily’s Chocolate Chips.
Keto Chocolate Almond Coconut Donuts
- Muffin tin or donut pan
For the Donuts
- 1/3 c butter Just melted. If the butter is too hot when it is mixed with the cream the donuts end up flat.
- 2 T heavy cream Should be cold.
- 1/2 c erythritol
- 4 whole eggs Should be cold.
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract Or one whole vanilla bean, scraped.
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 c almond flour It does not matter what kind – fine, whole, whatever you have will work.
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the Glaze
- 2 T butter
- 1/4 c Chocolate Chips Use the ones sweetened with erythritol.
- 3 T almonds, thinly sliced
- 1/4 c unsweetened coconut flakes, thinly sliced
For the Donuts
- Adjust oven rack to middle and preheat oven to 350.
- Spray donut pan, muffin tins, or muffin tins with liners with olive oil cooking spray. It just works better for no-stick than Pam. Or use butter.
- Melt the 1/3 cup butter (about 30 seconds in the microwave). Add the butter, 2 T heavy cream, erythritol, vanilla bean (or extract) and almond extract to a medium bowl. Mix on medium-high speed until everything is well combined and the batter is smooth.
- Add the almond flour and baking soda. Mix again. Pour or spoon the batter into the desired vessel. I get 9 donuts from this recipe.
- Bake 15 – 18 minutes at 350.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Then remove from donut forms.
- When the donuts are still a little warm to touch, make the glaze.
For the Glaze
- Slice the almonds and unsweetened coconut so they are ready to be sprinkled on the warm chocolate glaze.
- In a small shallow bowl, melt 2 T butter and 1/4 cup erythritol sweetened chocolate chips. Start with 30 seconds. Stir to combine the hot butter and somewhat melted chocolate. See if the heat from the original 30-second blast will melt the rest of the chocolate before choosing to microwave again. (Chocolate that gets too hot will not have a pretty shine. There is no way to undo the damage once chocolate gets too hot.)
- Dip the top of the donut/muffin in the warm glaze. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and unsweetened coconut
- Store in the refrigerator and microwave 10 – 15 seconds to warm them up before eating.
- Using a spoon, scrape up any remaining chocolate and drizzle it over the donuts. Flick the spoon quickly from side to side to get horizontal chocolate lines.
You know I know keto isn’t about making fake sweets and fake bread. Keto and low carb are about vegetables, good fats, and real food from Mother Earth. This book is a nice explanation of how to do it right: whole plant foods and good fats. It’s not high protein. It’s nutritious plants and good fats.