This recipe celebrates summer veggies. Fresh corn is the star and the rest of the ingredients readily adapt to what you have on hand.
The avocado showed up in this dish because it was perfectly ripe, just sitting on my counter waiting for its culinary mission. And a little part of me dies every time I miss the window on an avocado.
Celebrate Summer with this Fresh Corn Salad
You can throw this recipe together quickly and dive in. Avocados don’t keep well, so if you want the flavors to meld longer, wait until serving time to add the avocados. I love the heat of chili powder, jalapeños and the earthy smokiness of cumin so I went in that direction. It would be good with Cilantro Lime Rice and Black Beans. Or …
Switch it up and go Mediterranean if you like
I can totally see it with oregano, basil, olive oil, and lots of sun-dried tomatoes. Increase the mozzarella, smear some olive oil on crusty bread and pile on the salad.
So Many Options
You can turn this salad into a dip, use it as a layer in a wrap, or a condiment … I suspect you could add some stock, blend it up and it would make a great soup. Today I’m eating it for lunch with a big pile of Homemade Roasted Red Pepper Hummus.
Corn Salad With Roasted Red Peppers
- 5 - 6 ears fresh corn or a bag of frozen corn, lightly cooked
- 2/3 c fresh mozzarella cheese chopped
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1 large handful fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 c red onion chopped
- 1/3 c roasted red peppers, from a jar chopped
- juice of one lime
- 3 T melted butter
- 1 T fresh jalapeno minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Boil the corn briefly, just enough to soften it.
- Cut the corn off the cob and place it in a medium bowl.
- Chop up everything else and add it to the corn - except the avocado. Wait until serving time to chop the avocado so it doesn't turn brown.
- Melt the butter and mix it with the dried spices.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat, garnish with fresh cilantro.