Corn Is A Summer Superstar Food.
I know not everyone agrees. Paleo people and most low-carb people say no to it. It makes more sense to me to respect a food that has been so important to human survival. And corn is something my grandma would recognize as food – meaning, it can’t be that bad for you. This corn salad is summer in a bowl.
Don’t Be Afraid Of Fresh, Local, Organic Corn.
An ear of corn, straight from the earth? That’s just a little jewel of goodness. Add some sun-dried tomatoes and basil … straight-up summer!
I kept this recipe vegetarian but I’m sure crumbled crispy bacon or fried pancetta would be a fantastic addition. (My grandma knows bacon and Italian Grandmas know pancetta, so there you go: healthy!)
This recipe is easy to put together, adapts to what you had on hand and keeps well for several days in the frig. It makes a great side dish for a summer BBQ, and if you’re looking for a satisfying main dish, it can do that too. In fact, it’s going to do just that for me at lunch tomorrow!
Corn Salad With Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 4 ears fresh corn or one bag of frozen corn lightly cooked
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil drained
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil
- 1 c shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 2 T of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 grinds of a pepper mill
- Cook the corn till just barely done. Parboil it or wrap each ear in wax paper and microwave 2 minutes/ear. (4 ears = 8 minutes.)
- When the corn is cool enough to touch, cut it off the cob and put the cut corn in a bowl.
- Put everything except the corn and parmesan cheese into a food processor and blast until it forms a paste. If you don't have a food processor, just mince everything.
- Add the spicy paste and the parmesan cheese to the cooked corn.
- Chill at least 30 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil before serving