These candied almonds rock. They are so easy, and your house smells unbelievably good while they are baking. For about 10 minutes of prep time and an hour of cook time, you get a sweet, crunchy, somewhat nutritious snack suitable for entertaining, gift-giving, or bingeing.
- 2 - 3 1/2 cups whole, raw, almonds 2 cups fit easily on a large baking sheet. Use 2 baking sheets if you are doing 3 1/2 cups.
- 1 egg white Beaten until frothy.
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 1/2 c packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch ground cardamom optional. Vanilla and cardamom pair well together.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 250.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg white until frothy. Stir in the vanilla. Add the almonds and stir well to make sure they are all coated with the egg white.
- Combine the sugars, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom in a medium bowl.
- Add the sugar mixture to the almonds and stir well to make sure each almond is well coated with the mixture. It will be thick.
- Spread the almonds on a large, rimmed cookie sheet and bake at 250 for an hour. Set your phone timer and stir them every 15 minutes - it prevents them from clumping together.
- Let cool before transferring to serving or storage vessel.
Wash this lovely treat down with homemade almond milk!